This page is for information on all of the different interventions that could occur during labor and the when's, why's, and wherefore's thereof concerning today's state of affairs as it stands in common hospital policies and procedures.
Types of Interventions
There are Medical and Non-medical Interventions. While some are certainly not chemical or medicinal in nature, they are ALL considered to be interventions in the normal stages of birth and should be considered carefully.
- Membrane Sweep
- Artificial Rupture of Membranes - AROM
- Narcotic Pain Medicines
- External Fetal Monitoring
- Internal Fetal Monitoring
- "Clear Liquids Only" Rule during labor
- I.V. Fluids vs. Heparin Lock
- Continuous Routine Antibiotics for Group B Strep